Foodie, Main Eats

Real Food Fruit and Nut Yogurt Bowl

January 20, 2015

yogurtbowl

One of my favorite quick and easy breakfast (or lunch) solutions is this awesome yogurt bowl. It’s chock full of protein from the greek yogurt, nuts, seeds, and chia. It has just the right amount of sweetness from the fruit and honey. Plus, it keeps your belly full for several hours.

This is my go-to post workout meal choice. The protein and fat content are great for muscle recovery.

*I cannot stress enough how important full fat dairy products are. However, it’s almost impossible to find full fat AND organic varieties of greek yogurt. Ideally, you can just make your own (but even I don’t make yogurt). I almost always choose full fat over organic when it comes to yogurt. End Rant.*

Here is what you’ll need:

-1 cup of Plain Greek Yogurt; full fat variety like Fage

-1 sliced up peach or a handful of berries

-1/4 cup of mixed nuts and seeds; my favorite is chopped walnuts with raw pepitas and raw sunflower seeds

-2 tbs chia seed

-1 tsp of raw honey; local is the best. Go find a good “Honey Guy” this week.

*add more or less sweetener depending on your palate. I like the tartness of the plain yogurt, so I only add a scant amount of honey. However, some people may prefer their yogurt bowl a bit sweeter.

Throw all the ingredients into a bowl. Devour.

yogurtbowl 1

You Might Also Like

6 Comments

• Reply Kate January 20, 2015 at 9:34 am

I was just have my own mini rant in my head over full fat dairy products! Lovely meal.

• Reply Terra Wilcox January 20, 2015 at 11:14 am

Hey Abbie! How come it is so important to have the full fat dairy products?

• Reply GrowingRoots&Wings January 20, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Awesome question! Here is what I know in a nutshell: Fat is NOT the devil. Full fat dairy is richer in nutrients than low fat or non fat dairy. In fact, non-fat dairy products have the potential to leach calcium and minerals out of your bones; increasing your risk of osteoporosis. Some studies suggest that women who consume full fat dairy are more likely to maintain a healthy weight than women who eat low or non fat dairy. AND non-fat dairy has been linked to fertility issues. Also, full fat dairy is less processed than low-fat or non-fat dairy. In fact, non-fat dairy has additives in it so that it is more “milk-like”. In some circles, people tout raw milk as being the very best. I don’t disagree with this, but I also don’t consume raw milk so I can’t attest to any of it’s positive qualities. I do know several people who consume raw milk dairy and SWEAR by it’s healing properties. The process in which milk is pasteurized and homogenized may in fact be an underlying culprit in the milk allergy epidemic. Now, I’m obviously not a doctor or professional researcher, so take all of this with a grain of salt. All I know is that in our life, since switching to full fat, grass fed dairy (and still limiting intake…we aren’t big milk drinkers anyway), we have lost weight and maintained healthy weights (plus my blood numbers are terrific). You have inspired me to write a post about all I know on this subject! Stay tuned for that!

• Reply Kate January 21, 2015 at 8:42 am

Also, studies comparing organic versus conventional find that he benefits are in the fat. so if you are buying organic/grass fed dairy, but removing the fat you are taking out the benefits of making a healthier (and more costly) choice. The same goes for chickens, if you don’t eat the skin and fat, you don’t get the greatest benefits from healthy animals.

• Reply Terra Wilcox January 21, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Thanks Abbie & Kate! I didn’t know this and it is great information. I don’t eat very much dairy either… my fiance drinks more milk that I do, but I do eat yogurt more frequently. I’ll look out for your post on the subject.

• Reply Jessica January 20, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Yum! I could eat that at least once a day, everyday! Totally agree about the full fat…every once in a while I’m lucky enough to find full fat organic (when I do, I buy two or three quarts!), but I never buy low fat unless it’s the only option…ick. Homemade yogurt is easy, and yummy! I need to make some more soon….I’ve gotten pretty lazy about it.